Post-Secondary Student Support Services / Shpi Kinomaagzijig Ne Naakwenmaagejik » FAQ's


The answer is simple…..YES! If you are expecting to get sponsorship for your studies, it is your responsibility to make sure that you have a new application submitted for the appropriate deadlines.


The only time that you don’t need to submit a separate application is for Winter —- this means that if you started the school year in September and are scheduled to continue through to the end of the regular school year (April of the next year), then you don’t have to submit a separate application for Winter; your application submitted by the June 1st deadline will cover you for both the Fall and Winter.

Under no circumstance will an application be accepted once the Application Deadline has passed.
Yes, you need to submit an application by the June 1st deadline.
Yes, you need to submit a separate application by April 1st (ESDT).
You still need to submit an application for sponsorship by the June 1st deadline if you want to be sponsored. Then, regardless of your decision, at least you have the opportunity for sponsorship AND if you decide not to attend, you just inform the PSSSS and you can withdraw from the school (if you had already applied and received your acceptance).
Yes, you need to submit an application by the June 1st deadline. Even if you are only looking at taking one course but still don’t know what course you want to take or if the course will even be offered by the school, YOU NEED TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION!
ONLY a registered Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory (W.U.T.) member with a valid status card can apply. If you are a registered W.U.T. member and you have met the entrance requirements for and been enrolled in or accepted for enrolment in an eligible post-secondary program then you can apply for post-secondary education assistance through the Wiikwemkong Board of Education Post-Secondary Student Support Services. Questions about membership can be directed to the W.U.T. membership office at (705) 859-3122.
Yes, you do not have to wait for these items. Your information can always be changed on your application if it is different than when your application was completed.
This depends on the purpose of your contact. The receptionist at the PSSSS can direct you to the right person. When in doubt, contact your Education Navigator. Your Education Navigator’s name is on your approved application letter.
You will receive a copy of the approved application in your email along with a copy of the sponsorship letter that is sent to your post-secondary institution. It is your responsibility to register with the post-secondary institution depending on the college/university. Remember to check with your post-secondary institution for specific dates and deadlines. If you plan on staying in residence, you must indicate this preference on your application.  If you decide after application submission that you would prefer to stay in residence and didn't indicate this on the application, you must let your Education Navigator know prior to your first month’s education allowance being released. Be aware of your institution’s deadlines for residence.
If you have been approved for a monthly education allowance then it is directly deposited to your bank account by the last Friday of each sponsorship month. Any problems with your file at PSSSS may result in the deposit being delayed. Keep in touch with our Education Navigator to make sure everything is okay.
Only mandatory tuition and mandatory student fees are covered in approved tuition assistance through PSSSS. Avoid charges for optional student fees by opting out at the start of the semester. Check with your institution on when fees are applied and the deadlines for opting out. First Nations and Inuit Health Branch works with First Nations and Inuit communities, other Health Canada branches, and federal government departments to provide health programs and services. Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) The Non-Insured Health Benefits Program (NIHB) provides a range of health-related goods and services to eligible beneficiaries who are status Indians, recognized Inuit and recognized Innu people in Canada. The NIHB Program offers specific health-related benefits not provided by other agencies such as provincial and territorial health plans or other third party plans. These benefits include vision and dental care, medical transportation, drugs, medical supplies and equipment and others. Visit to access more information.
No. There are deadlines and procedures in place for receiving monthly education allowance.
Yes, you can change programs but you will have to wait for a period of 2 years to be eligible for sponsorship for the new program.  Please be aware of deadlines and procedures for the college or university as well as Post-Secondary Student Support Services. Speak with your navigator before you decide to change academic programs.  The only exception for an immediate program change will be for medical reasons and must be accompanied by a medical note from your Doctor that explains why the student should not continue in the current program.

You should have direct contact a minimum of once per semester. Full-time students will have either direct or indirect contact with navigators at least eight times per year i.e.:

  • To complete an application for education assistance before the next applications deadline.
  • To review progress to date, share successes and concerns.
  • To discuss marks, progress reports, transcripts.
  • To submit required documentation.
  • To confirm that all required documentation has been submitted to maintain eligibility for education assistance.
  • To discuss your education plan.

Contact can be made with your Education Navigator in several ways. For example by telephone; by mail; in office visits and through e-mail.